The client brief stipulated a contemporary landscape design that incorporated and transformed the front and rear gardens of this single storey brick duplex into a lush sanctuary with a beautiful outlook. This would ensure a smooth transition for the owner, who was downsizing from a waterfront home.
The landscape design had to result in a stunning low maintenance garden, important for the inhabitants now – and later as the property may be rented out in future. The garden also needed to incorporate low pollen producing plant species so the occupants of the property would not have their allergies aggravated in Spring!
- Design of a pergola / roof for the rear of the property allowing for entertaining in all weather conditions.
- Widen drive at front to improve access.
- Retain car parking at front in a visually appealing way.
- Incorporate safety into the design in terms of visibility and thresholds.
- Ensure access via a side walkway.
- Remove large gum trees in rear garden to reduce maintenance.
The final MUD design included the following innovative design elements:
- Architectural design of a stunning pergola for the rear of the property, creating a new living space that fuses the inside and outside of the property.
- Attractive curved hardwood timber vertical batten screen feature at front and rear – linking the two areas. This also creates a physical barrier from the road and ensures safety.
- Hardy native plantings of Gymea Lily, Kangaroo Paw, Grass Tree, Blue Fescue grass and Casuarina “Cousin It” seamlessly mixed in with exotics including; Frangipani, Bamboo, Agave, and Mexican Cycad. All features in their own right, they bring a vibrant desert-feel growing together!
Navigating council and acquiring development approval can be challenging and this project was no exception. The architectural design for the rear pergola was completed by MUD and construction required development approval. MUD managed the development application on behalf of the client, with our experience and knowledge of relevant legislation allowing us to obtain approval quickly and with minimal issues.
The completed front garden is visually stunning with its striking timber vertical screen feature differentiating the home. Complimented by the generous native plantings this makes for a truly unique frontage that is the envy of the neighbours!
Take a short walk to the rear garden, where the fusion of contemporary design and classic lawn space is set off again by the striking timber vertical screen – creating a practical yet beautiful outdoor setting for family, friends, BBQ’s and the odd game of backyard cricket with the grandchildren!
Mark Tisdell surprised and delighted us with his innovative design. Consultations with Mark have been comfortable and he was always willing to discuss any of our reservations, queries and suggestions.
Mark Tisdell from MUD nailed it with the first design concept! And was able to bring this to life with detailed plans that enabled us to get a better idea of how it would look when finished.
I found Mark to be very courteous, polite, punctual and easy to work with. Mark provides a very high level of service and my garden is now an area that I can sit in, relax and enjoy.
We are loving our new garden and shed! Mark Tisdell from MUD was very accommodating, easy to work with, and listened to our design aims.
Meeting times were easy to arrange, plans were delivered as promised and his relationship with Aaron has certainly made the project uncomplicated to manage.
The level of service was great, Mark was available to answer the many questions we had regarding plant and materials along the way.
I couldn’t be any happier with the transformation. It has exceeded all my expectations!
We were very satisfied with MUD’s design process. Mark was willing to re design any detail until we were completely happy.
The garden, while a work in progress, is dramatically different and is already a joy to view. We are looking forward to seeing it mature!
This project changed the way our home and interior exterior living works. With a beautiful outlook from every angle and entertaining options for not just summer, but winter as well. We couldn’t be happier with the result!
I would highly recommend Mark Tisdell to anyone in need of a Landscape Architect.
Mark was flexible with meeting times, and comprehensive in resourcing materials and services for our building and gardening work.
I have already recommended Mark from MUD to a few friends!
We now have a wonderful and inviting garden and living area where we previously did not use the existing space!